I don’t really like giving advice where I’m not qualified. But I’m Gen Y. So I know everything about work. Here are my five essential ways to get ahead in the workplace…
- Communicate better. Learn to do public speaking – it’s invaluable in meetings and day to day interactions to be able to confidently put forward your views. Learn to write in plain language. Keep things simple. Don’t waste people’s time.
- Learn to say no to things you can’t do – outsource. Paying an expert is often the best decision you can make.
- Learn the 80/20 rule. Be prepared not to be perfect in order to do more stuff.
- Keep up to date with new developments in your field. Read the right blogs and magazines, keep in touch with technology, find new ways of doing things and suggest them to others.
- Learn a little bit about desktop publishing and graphic design. The basics are easy.