I’m not sure if I’m a fully fledged geek or not… but here are five areas I think are essentials…
- Learn to put together wires and boxes (like an amp, TV etc) – particularly learn about cable varieties and all the terminology involved in audio and visual stuff.
- Learn to put together a computer – learn what the parts do from the CPU to the fans, and everything in between.
- Develop an obsession – past the point of normality – for me it’s coffee. Once that obsession has gone past normal points pick something new.
- Learn as many subsets of jargon (or niche languages) as possible, particularly acronyms.
- Get a multitool, like a leatherman.