Kottke has a list of essential skills for living (ages ago, I’m clearing out my queue)… you should read it.
Here’s my list of not so common skillz that I’ve decided are important.
- Write a haiku – they come in handy for classy SMS invitations. Limericks are also useful.
- Make dangerous things that impress children – glove guns are a classic.
- Pull apart a piece of technology, try to get it working again, then turn it into a piece of art.
- Learn to tell dad jokes – this is an important skill – I don’t recommend starting with the tractor joke, but learn it to punish people.
- Get a party trick. You never know when you might need to save your life by performing some sort of miraculous and spontaneous piece of entertainment.
Share your non-essential skillz in the comments.