Bank robbers are a misunderstood breed. They’re nothing like the bogans in Two Hands… Hollywood was closer in the movie “How to Rob a Bank…” that I reviewed a while back.
A very professional gang in Sweden did it this way (and got $150 million in the process):
- Dressed as ninjas
- Stole a helicopter
- Abseiled onto the roof of the building – which was essentially a money storage facility, the kind Scrooge McDuck used to bathe in.
- Smashed through the glass pyramid on top.
- Used explosives to access the money.
- Climbed back up the ropes.
But that’s not the best bit. The best bit is that they delayed the pursuers by:
- Putting sharp stuff all over the road outside the depot.
- Putting a bag marked “Bomb” outside the police station’s helipad, which had to be investigated and the helicopter staff were evacuated.
Two men have since been “questioned” by police, it seems they’re not the actual robbers but may have been involved. The best quote in the story about the robbery is this one from a criminologist:
“They are definitely no amateurs.”