I write lots about communication and some bits and pieces about public relations.
I’m not claiming to be an expert in the field, I am claiming to earn a relatively nice subsidiary income through consulting, and four years of full time experience with a not-for-profit membership based marketing and lobby group with, and on behalf of, all sorts of organisations from small business, to government, to sporting events and major industry.
These tips are quite general, though many relate to communicating the gospel better. Many of the principles of clear gospel communication are interchangeable with principles of public relations. In fact, my professional life was remarkably shaped by my existing convictions about communication in the church context, and particularly Paul’s desire to be all things to all men (1 Cor 9), while maintaining his integrity and keeping a focus on the big idea (1 Cor 1-4, 2 Cor 10-13).
- How to write a media release
- What is a media release?
- A guide to promoting community events
- How to talk to the media without looking like an idiot
- 12 Tips for getting media coverage (Venn Theology)
- A handy guide for talkback radio
- Gimmicks and church marketing, and a follow up.
- Plundering gold from Public Relations
- What being on message for Jesus looks like in the Public Sphere
- How to be on message and engaging with the message of Jesus
- 18 Propositions on Christian Public Relations on Social Issues
- How to get good media coverage of your ministry: be alarmingly loving
- Being on message for Jesus – What is good PR?
- Being on message for Jesus – Mike O’Connor from Rocky PC
- Being on message for Jesus – Guy Mason from City on a Hill (Guy’s Sunrise appearance)
- Jim Wallace from the ACL gets it right (he talks about Jesus)
- Being on message for Jesus – How Christians should handle the Media
- Peter Costello with some hard truths about Christianity in the Australian Media
- Manipulation v Persuasion
- Why accuracy is important
- Convergence and Conversation