One of the perks of my job is the quantity of industry publications that land on my desk for me to read. This month’s FoodService – a journal for hospitality businesses – includes some facts and figures about coffee. I thought I’d share them with you… they’re from BIS Shrapnel’s Coffee in Australia 2009 – whatever that is…
- 64% of Australians aged 11 and above drink coffee.
- 65% of coffee drinkers drink instant.
- 31% drink a cappuccino
- 21% drink a flat white
- 20% drink a latte
- 10% drink a short black
- The “food service” coffee market in Australia is worth $435 million – this is the value of the market that the food service market buys it for – I assume that’s not including dedicated coffee houses.
- The “fully automatic” coffee machine market is worth $270 million a year – which seems odd given the market itself is only worth $435 million.
- 52% of consumers drink full cream
- 19% drink semi skim
- 22% drink skim
- 3% drink soy
- 14% are hardcore and don’t have milk
- 70% purchase coffee for pleasure
- 51% purchase on the basis of flavour